Safeguarding adults is everybody’s business and everyone has a responsibility to report abuse.
If you think you or another person at risk is being harmed, neglected or abused please call 01243 642121 or fill in an alert form online.
Health services have a duty to safeguard adults at risk. Safeguarding adults includes:
- Prevention of harm and abuse through commissioning and the provision of high quality care;
- Effective responses to allegations of harm and abuse in line with local multi-agency procedures;
The Department of Health has identified six principles of adult safeguarding that provide a foundation to achieve good outcomes for patients:
- Principle 1 – Empowerment
- Principle 2 – Protection
- Principle 3 – Prevention
- Principle 4 – Proportionality
- Principle 5 – Partnership
- Principle 6 – Accountability
A person may abuse or neglect an adult at risk by inflicting harm, or failing to prevent harm. This abuse can take place in a family or in an institution, care home or community setting, by those known to them, by a carer or even a stranger.
Due to the range and spread of health services, practitioners are in a good position not only to recognise situations that may indicate that an adult is at risk or abuse or neglect, but also to offer early help where there are concerns.
Please click here for a short video, shared with the permission of Surrey Safeguarding Board, that highlights the issue, and the difference you can make.
What to do if an adult is being abused
Tell someone if you have any concerns that someone is being abused.
If you think the danger is immediate then ring 999.
If it is less urgent, contact the police non-urgent contact centre on 101, or call:
- West Sussex Social Services urgent calls regarding Adults - please ring 01243 642121
- Approved Mental Health Professional to consider an urgent Mental Health Act Assessment for all age groups - please ring 01903 843239
There is further advice and guidance on the West Sussex Safeguarding Adults Board website.
Remember – the worst thing to do if you are concerned is nothing!