Out of Hours care

Get the health help you need, in the right place at the right time.

By choosing an alternative to the Emergency Department for minor injuries or illnesses you will also allow the Emergency Department staff to look after people with serious or life-threatening conditions.

Dr Minesh Patel, lead GP for the CCG, said: “The different choices for care can sometimes seem confusing, with many people not knowing when to go to their pharmacist, make an appointment with their GP, or when to walk in to the Minor Injuries Unit, Urgent Treatment Centre or even an A & E department.

"We want you to get care locally, as quickly as possible, and via the right professional. It’s also about supporting our NHS. Together, we can look after patients and look after our NHS - we all have a part to play.”

Find your local urgent health service

NHS 111

NHS 111 offers health advice and reassurance 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. Simply dial 111. 

You can watch a short film for people with learning disabilities, autism or both which shows what NHS 111 is, on YouTube.

Local Urgent Care and Walk-In Centres

Visit your Minor Injury Units (MIU) or Urgent Treatment Centre (UTC) 

A & E

The Emergency Departments are located at East Surrey Hospital and Princess Royal Hospital in Haywards Heath. A & E should only be used if you are seriously ill or it is an emergency.


If you are feeling unwell try to get help early, before your condition worsens. Your local pharmacist can help with much more than you may think and most pharmacies provide a private consulting room for confidential conversations.  


To find a local GP to register with you can visit the NHS Choices website or contact NHS 111 (dial 111).

If you or someone you know needs medical help and your usual GP surgery is closed, contact NHS 111 (dial 111). You may receive guidance on self-management or you may be directed to your local out of hours service.